The Active People Survey is a large telephone survey of sport and active recreation, commissioned by Sport England. The survey measures participation in sport and active recreation, and provides details of how participation varies from place to place and between different groups in the population. The survey also measures other sport-related issues such as volunteering; club membership; tuition or coaching; and overall satisfaction with levels of sporting provision in the local community. The survey began in October 2005, and is repeated annually. The survey provides the measurement for former National Indicator 8 (NI8) - adult participation in sport and active recreation.
These are new APS data from APS6 Quarter 2 to APS7 Quarter 1, January 2012 - January 2013. The data show the percentage of individuals who met the Chief Medical Officer’s recommended guidelines on levels of physical activity (at least 150 minutes a week), and the percentage of individuals who were inactive (less than 30 minutes a week). These data are used to inform the progress towards the National Ambition for physical activity and the Public Health Outcomes Framework (PHOF) indicator for physical activity.
Please note that it is not possible to compare this new APS data with previous APS data due to differences in methodology.
The activities included are: sport, recreational cycling, recreational walking, walking for active travel purposes, cycling for active travel purposes, dance and gardening. Occupational activity or work in the home is not included.
The four frequencies reported in these data are less than 30 minutes, 30-89 minutes, 90-149 minutes and 150+ minutes as a weekly average.
The data are shown at LA, County Sports Partnership (CSP) and Regional level.
- Methodology: Bespoke telephone questionnaire collected data on frequency of participation in sport and active recreation during the previous 28 days.
- Start date: 2005
- Frequency of survey: Survey 1: 2005-6; Survey 2: 2007-8; Survey 3: 2008; Survey 4: 2009-10; Survey 5: 2010-11; Survey 6: 2011-12; Survey 7: 2012-13
- Most recent full year results: January 2012 to January 2013
- Commissioned by: Sport England
- Coverage: Adult 16+yrs in England
- Link to associated papers and most recent data: More information on the APS is available for the Sport England website: http://www.sportengland.org/research/active_people_survey/active_people_survey_7.aspx