The Active People Survey is a large telephone survey of sport and active recreation, commissioned by Sport England. The survey measures participation in sport and active recreation, and provides details of how participation varies from place to place and between different groups in the population. The survey also measures other sport-related issues such as volunteering; club membership; tuition or coaching; and overall satisfaction with levels of sporting provision in the local community. The survey began in October 2005, and is repeated annually. The survey provides the measurement for former National Indicator 8 (NI8) - adult participation in sport and active recreation.
These are new APS data from APS7 Quarter 2 to APS8 Quarter 1 (mid Jan 2013 -mid Jan 2014). The data show the percentage of individuals who met the Chief Medical Officer’s recommended guidelines on levels of physical activity (at least 150 minutes a week), and the percentage of individuals who were inactive (less than 30 minutes a week). These data are used to inform the progress towards the National Ambition for physical activity and the Public Health Outcomes Framework (PHOF) indicator for physical activity.
Please note that it is not possible to compare this APS data with data before APS6 Quarter 2 (mid Jan 2012) due to differences in methodology.
The activities included are: sport, recreational cycling, recreational walking, walking for active travel purposes, cycling for active travel purposes, dance and gardening. Occupational activity or work in the home is not included.
The four frequencies reported in these data are less than 30 minutes, 30-89 minutes, 90-149 minutes and 150+ minutes as a weekly average.
The data are shown at LA, County Sports Partnership (CSP) and Regional level.
Spreadsheet updated March 2015 following notification of an error to the APS 8 results. The error involved the population data used to weight the results and affected both the October 2013 – October 2014 results (APS8) and the April 2013 – April 2014 results (upto APS8Q2).
- Methodology: Bespoke telephone questionnaire collected data on frequency of participation in sport and active recreation during the previous 28 days.
- Start date: 2005
- Frequency of survey: Survey 1: 2005-6; Survey 2: 2007-8; Survey 3: 2008; Survey 4: 2009-10; Survey 5: 2010-11; Survey 6: 2011-12; Survey 7: 2012-13; Survey 8: 2013-14
- Most recent full year results: January 2013 to January 2014
- Commissioned by: Sport England
- Coverage: Adult 16+yrs in England
- Link to associated papers and most recent data: More information on the APS is available for the Sport England website: http://www.sportengland.org/research/about-our-research/what-is-the-active-people-survey/