Standard Evaluation Framework for weight management interventions
The aim of the Standard Evaluation Framework for weight management interventions is to support high quality, consistent evaluation of weight management interventions in order to increase the evidence base.
This SEF provides introductory guidance on the principles of evaluation, and lists ‘essential’ and ‘desirable’ criteria. Essential criteria are presented as the minimum recommended data for evaluating a weight management intervention. Desirable criteria are additional data that would enhance the evaluation. The supporting guidance describes why particular criteria have been categorised as essential or desirable, and provides further information on collecting data.
- Download the Standard Evaluation Framework for weight management interventions
- Download the Quick reference core evaluation criteria
PHE will be evaluating the usefulness and impact of the SEF and this will be informed by both quantitative and qualitative data, including the experiences of people who have used the guidance. If you would like to be involved in this evaluation, or if you have any feedback, please contact PHE.email@example.com
- Download the SEF feedback report
Measurement of diet and physical activity behaviours presents considerable challenges to evaluators. PHE has produced guidance on measuring diet and physical activity.
- Download the Measuring diet and physical activity in weight management interventions
- Download: Supplement (copies of questionnaires)
Evaluation case studies
- Download the Case Study: Evaluating the Stockport Altogether Active Programme using the SEF
- Download the Case Study: Evaluating the Lite4Life Referral Weight Management Programme, Stockton-on-Tees
- Download the Case Study: A snapshot of (non-surgical) NHS weight management and obesity treatment services in the East of England audited against the Standard Evaluation Framework
- Download the Case Study: East Midlands Weight Management Service Audit
- Download the Case Study: Evaluation of the Food for Life Partnership programme [http://www.foodforlife.org.uk/what-is-food-for-life/our-impact/evaluation-reports]
An evaluation framework for breastfeeding interventions has been developed by the South West region using the NOO SEF as a template and can be found at healthyweight4children website